Families, Infertility, Adoption, Working Moms and more....

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Gratitude

I was sitting at my mother-in-law's computer this afternoon and on her notepad it said "Enjoy the Journey." I found out this quote is by President Monson. What a wise man. Since my last post, I really tried to enjoy my week.

Today, I was at my in-laws for dinner. My husband is starting a project at the Salt Lake Temple tonight (well technically tomorrow). Every year it shuts down for two weeks for cleaning, renovations, up grades, etc. and so he will begin at 12:01 Monday morning. Anyway, he opted to stay home and get a little sleep before he has to leave for the office so I went up to his parent's home with the kids. Every month we get together for dinner and celebrate any birthdays or big events that are happening that month.

When the door was opened we were greeted by big hugs and smiles. Nana and Papa had dinner just about done and as we waited for siblings to arrive Pap showed us the rocks he had in his rock tumbler. My daughter and Papa share a love of rocks. When everyone arrived, we prayed, ate, played games, talked, encouraged each other, discussed future plans, celebrated a birthday and just enjoyed each other. As all the kids ran around, I realized how blessed I am to have in laws that not only do I truly love, but I really enjoy. We have fun together. We love each other. We love each others children. It feels very safe there. I know whenever I am in that home that I will hear good things, see good things and learn good things.

I have a sister-in-law who my children are especially attached to. She's the favorite aunt. I can only say that because everyone knows it. It holds true for each of the nieces and nephews. When I had my youngest child, we were living in that home. My in-laws were on a mission for our church and so we were able to live in their basement while this aunt lived upstairs. What a blessing in disguise that was. I've said it before and I'll say it a gain. My youngest is a wild child and has had a little extra sass in him from the day he was born. Somehow, whenever I was at the brink of losing it (which was about once a day). K would come in with perfect timing and take him from me. She has perfect patience and would always be able to calm him down and have him asleep by the time I regained my sanity. Tonight, she had the kids stay over so I can go in to work.

Usually, I worry. About everything. This time on Sunday nights after the kids are in bed and I am starting to think about the week I start to panic about all that is to come. But tonight, I am going to enjoy some quiet time. Enjoy the fact that my kids are in a safe place with people who love them possibly as much as I do. Enjoy that my husband and I have jobs and a home, clothes to wear and food to eat. I am going to enjoy the knowledge that when things go wrong (as they inevitably do), I have a great support system. What more can I ask for?

And anyway, there's always time to panic tomorrow.

No comments: