Families, Infertility, Adoption, Working Moms and more....

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

And then there were three

I think I must first warn you that I've never blogged. Never really facebooked. Don't email much outside of work and just learned to text about a year ago. But I am going to give this my best shot.

I've been thinking all week about what to post. I haven't had the struggles with fertility that Shannie Annie has and I certainly haven't ever adopted 6 children (on top of an original 4) like Meredith has. I married at 20 to a great guy and proceeded to have three beautiful children. I think my biggest struggle has been trying to juggle a full time job while still living a "normal" life. I have worked for the same guy since I was 17. My job is the longest relationship I've ever had outside of family and as much as I appreciate having a job, it is very tempting to sit back and imagine a life where we are wealthy enough for me to be a full time parent volunteer in my children's classrooms (but really does that ever happen?). I also serve with the young women's program in our church. I have spent 8 years of my adult life in this program and truly love it.

I have a ten year old son who plays competition soccer. Between spring and fall play, there is futsal, agility training, ,training camps and goalie practices. Then there is scouts. Swim lessons. Tennis lessons. And playing with friends all day and night. I felt awful last week when I heard that his tennis coach had died. My first thought before sending my condolences was, well that's one less thing to do for now. This is a very obedient child. He always gets his homework done early. Does every chore he is asked to do. But I think I baby him. When he was 10 months old he was diagnosed with Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis. We were so sad. He was in remission within a few years but it was a very hard tim.

My daughter is 6. She is beautiful. She has big brown eyes and dark skin like her dad. She is so artistic. Sometimes I feel like she and I are in competition. My husband will ask how his princess is and he is certainly not talking about me. She has had some learning struggles. She loves her dance classes and is in swim lessons too.

My youngest boy just turned 4. He is a wild child. It seems like he never sleeps. It doesn't matter if he goes to bed at 7:00 or 12:00. He is wide eyed and ready to party at 6:30 every morning. He loves his tumbling classes and swim lessons.

So that's my family and our mundane life in a nutshell. I often think of single mothers and wonder how in the world they do it. I feel like I work full time, drive full time and cook and clean full time. But the blessings are great.

Shanelle and Meredith are great examples to me. When I first moved into their place I was dancing around the kitchen showing off some moves (I was a cheerleader a long time ago) and somehow broke the light in the kitchen. Glass shattered everywhere. I'll never forget that. Good times to remember when my children (while playing football in the house) break one of the fan blades off of the fan.

No comments: