Families, Infertility, Adoption, Working Moms and more....

Thursday, February 25, 2010

SAHM

So today, I went to my kids school no less than 4 times. Once, to drop them off in the morning. I returned at 10am to pick up my daughter S, who had a fever and a tummy ache. Then I received another call at 2:45pm (kids get out at 3pm) that my 4 year old son J had had a, well, let's call it a blow out. Bad enough that the school nurse didn't want to put him on the bus. So I figured, no problem, I've got half an hour before the school buses pull up and the school is only 5 minutes away. I gather up E & S and off we go to pick up J. Until I pull out of our subdivision and realize that there's a train blocking the road, and it's stopped. No sweat. There's another street up the road that will get me there. So I speed over there. The train, which had been previously stopped, started moving right as I was ready to cross the tracks. Okay, so now it's moving, let me head back to the first street. As I pull back onto the first street, I have to rub my eyes, because now the train is moving in the opposite direction. Okaaaaayyy... Turns out there were two trains, stopped side by side, heading in opposite directions. Really? Right then? In that crucial 10 minute window I had to get to the school to pick up my poopy son? Fine. Well I got J, headed home to a bus waiting in front of the house. Whew. All was well. I got everyone in the house, bathed poopy boy, got everyone their snack, helped E to the bathroom (did I mention my 5 year old broke her arm last week? Yep. It's been a fun "helping my daughter wipe" week), got everyone their snack, and then settled down to read an article. At 3:55pm I remember, oops, my daughter N is at school for tutoring. And off I go to pick her up. So. The point of my post? It's not to bore you with mundane details of my life. It is to say: I am so, so grateful that I get to be a SAHM. And I get to be a stay at home mom with no strings attached. I know that not everyone has that luxury. My sister being one of them. I know for a fact that there is nothing she would love more than to throw her work cellphone (or two, or three) in the trash and never have to answer another call. That's not reality for her. I am grateful that when I have a sick child, I get to pick her up. When my child needs help with homework, I get to help him. When my child forgot his homework at home, I get to take it to him. And when my child gets to sing a solo in a school choir performance, I get to go. The only boss I answer to is my husband. (And sometimes my 5 year old daughter, when she wants lunch at Subway!) My life is good, and I am so, so grateful!

No comments: